Friday, September 26, 2014

Hello!

I thought I would start this blog with an introduction to myself via a self-interview.

How long have you been playing Perfect World and how did you get started?
I've been playing Perfect World International since September 2009. I found it searching the internet out of sheer curiosity into online gaming. My brothers used to play WoW for a couple of years so it always intrigued me. This is my first massive multi-player online role-playing game (MMORPG) and continues to be the one game that capitalizes most of my online gaming time. It was an interesting experience being a new gamer, not knowing that to fly up I just had to hold down the space bar, or that arcane users didn't need to assign points to dex and traditionally use arcane armor. Hell, I didn't even know there was two kinds of damage: physical and magic. That's where factions become helpful and I was lucky to be recruited by a small faction who stuck to me like crazy glue.

What characters do you have?
As of today, I have a character on all PvE Servers, though I have 100+ characters on only two of those servers and primarily play on the Sanctuary server these days. My start was on the Raging Tide server. I moved to the Sanctuary server just over a year ago but sometimes dabble in Raging Tides when I miss having an OP character.

in Raging Tide
102-102-101 Cleric (sage)
104-78 Blademaster (sage)
102 Assassin (sage) x2
101 Venomancer (demon)
101 Archer (demon)
101 Barbarian (sage)
97 Cleric (demon)
63 Wizard
63 Seeker
62 Mystic
52 Psychic

in Sanctuary
101-101-101 Assassin (sage)
100-83 Blademaster (sage)
99 Cleric (demon)
79 Seeker
(others not worth mentioning atm)

Are you a PvE or PvP player?
I am primarily a PvE player. Of course I engage in PvP when I go to nation wars and looked forward to territory wars when I was with my old faction on the Raging Tides server. But most of the advice and guides I plan to post will be related to PvE activity.

Do you cash shop?
For the first year, I did not spend anything in PWI -- not even for a better flyer. My first character, a cleric, was level 100 and still using the white elf wings to fly around! But as many have discovered, once you buy one item from the boutique, it's easy to keep going. I had a good job at the time -- more money than I needed. So I started to buy items. Two years later, I calculated how much I had spent since I started PWI and it totaled over 10 thousand dollars. (I'm not kidding). Over two years, that's just under $500 a month! I decided that even though I wasn't in debt, I wanted that money to go towards my savings account. I mean I could put down a nice down payment on a good car or could have been on my way to a down payment on a condo. That was 2012. Since then, I have probably spent no more than $500 total, which is more than acceptable entertainment spending for me. I am strictly an ingame spender and since moving to Sanctuary, have invested less than $100 to jumpstart my characters to establish myself in this new server.

What activities take up most of your time when you are playing PWI?
I remember a time when doing my daily quests was all I did in PWI. But for the past 3 years now, it is mostly farming coin for gear, with an emphasis on farming Twilight Temple (TT) as my major source of income. I have made in upwards of 90 million coin in the course of a weekend. On a normal basis, I make between 50-70m a week from TT sales. TT farming and pricing is my speciality. I price competitively, and in some cases, drive the market price to where I want it (more on how to do that in a future post).

Why did you start a blog on PWI?
There are many who I meet that are caught in a similar predicament that I used to be in in regards to cash shopping. With ten thousand dollars spent, I was nowhere near the kind of OP character that many others have. I had a meager TT99 gear for my cleric and aps gear for my BM at the time (T3 or G16 gear had not been introduced yet) and less than decent gear for the rest of my characters. Believe it or not, 10 thousand dollars spent over 2 years doesn't buy you much, especially when you get excited about fashion and leveling new characters. All this to say, I can only imagine how much more money it takes to buy yourself an R9R3 fully +10 JOSD/vit sharded gear! We are talking about $100-200 thousand dollars and probably with complete unawareness.

I wanted to start a blog to show how to play the game without cash shopping, and any other helpful guides that would allow you to farm your gear and skills ingame with as little real money as possible. I do realize that without cash shoppers there can be no ingame farming. But that's the thing. There will always be cash shoppers. The question is, do you want to be a cash shopper or an ingame farmer? You can choose. There will never be a shortage of people who will spend real money to buy your stuff. If you want to play PWI without spending real money, then I hope this blog helps you.

Over the past 6 years, I have learned a lot of secrets to farming and saving yourself from your visa card. It takes patience I admit, but it also makes you play the game. There's also lots of other resources for PWI in existence, but sometimes I am not able to find a list or the guide that I am looking for -- because they don't exist, or because they are buried deep in the forums or on some forsaken PWI website that has fallen to the wayside by the developer. 

The guides and tools that I hope to post are selfishly for my own benefit so I have a direct link to all of the pages that are most helpful to me. I invite you follow along if you find them helpful too, or if you have more information to add. Lets DO DIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment